Here are 2 ways to incorporate a little coffee into your favourite frozen treat today.
Homemade Coffee Ice Cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of your favourite Hell's Half Acre coffee - we suggest Fire 19 Espresso
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine the milk, sugar, salt, and coffee in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until steaming. Reduce the heat to low.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. Slowly pour half the hot milk into the eggs while whisking continuously. Return the entire mixture to the pot and cook over medium heat, stir occasionally until thickened, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap, letting it touch the surface of the custard, this will help to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold, this should take about 3-4 hours.
- When ready to make the ice cream, whisk the cream and vanilla into the custard until smooth. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Enjoy right away or transfer to a freezer-safe container. The ice cream will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Too much work? We get it. Try this:
- 1 scoop of fior di latte (or just good old vanilla ice cream if that's what you can find)
- 1 shot (30ml) of Fire 19 Espresso
- Optional ingredients for those who are old enough and care to partake:
- 1 shot of amaretto, Kahlua, Bailey's, or other liqueur of your choice.
- Combine all ingredients
Hell's Half Acre always encourages the responsible consumption of alcohol. Please drink responsibly, and according to your provincial or state laws.
Be the first to comment